- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - Harry Tarr, Photographer by Harry Buschman

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Harry Tarr, Photographer by Harry Buschman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Feedback Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Harry Tarr, Photographer by Harry Buschman Reply with quote

Harry,

I love the way your stories literally take me back to those years...as I read this, I could remember the excitement of "color" photographs...sometimes, the color actually bled over into the other parts of the pictures, but we were so thrilled to have them in color! And your description of the "Pratt Institute...established years ago in a once genteel neighborhood with tree lined streets..." reminded me of those elegant homes on the old brick streets in my home town of Lake Charles. This was great Harry. Sorry it took me so long to reply.

Linda

Harry, knowing I was in the studio with Mrs. Tarr, would shout, "Tell her to go to hell," and I would say, "He says he'll be out in a minute Mrs. Tarr." She could read my lips but she couldn't see Harry's.

What a wise young boy! Smile
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the magic of "Marshall's Flesh" I never got over. No matter what your race, it colored everybody. The black and the white took care of everything else. Beauty or ugliness – it was only skin deep.
Linda
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never knew how it was done, but I can remember the thrill of seeing my own image in color! I'm not sure who took the portrait, or how much Daddy paid to have it in color, but, my hair was piled high on my head by a beautician Daddy was dating, and my face was pink with a tiny touch of darker pink on the cheeks...I felt so grown up....I knew the color was a little outside the lines of my face, and I didn't remember my cheeks being so much darker, but, in my 11 year old mind...it was simply a miracle. Now, after reading your story, I can imagine someone in the back room of that studio carefully adding the color…

Thank you Harry. I love you and your writing!!! Smile
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and just think – the little man in the back room coloring your portrait never laid eyes on you ...
Linda
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

I know. Do you think he knew how deeply thrilled the child would be to see his work? ....or did he do so many, that he never had time to think about the people he carefully painted??? I can't remember the name of the studio, but I remember it was downtown...a small, but well known studio....Did the photographer make notes for him to follow? For the clothes, I mean. My dress was white with polka dots...the color on the dots also occasionaly went outside the lines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Feedback Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: