- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - Nude in the Window: Harry Buschman

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nude in the Window: Harry Buschman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Feedback Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Nude in the Window: Harry Buschman Reply with quote

Harry, I just finished reading your story and I love it. The only thing I'm concerned about is whether or not it it is completely in her POV, I think it might be omniscient in parts, but I'm not positive. I certainly get a good idea of what she is feeling and thinking. She seems sad and maybe a little bitter. I can see why she would want to keep the painting of herself, but maybe she could sell the others and so enable herself to live a little better. She might even sell them off one or two at a time. Or maybe it matters more to her that he not be thought of as a better painter because of how he treated her. Your characterization of her is wonderful. She comes across as complex, not one dimensional in the least. She must have been quite a lady in her younger days. This was a pleasure to read, my friend.

Thank you for sharing.
shadowlight

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, Shadow. You're right about the POV ambivalence. I'm trying to juggle it as I go, There's Kate ...... how terrible it is to see me at my best when my best is long gone. and the gallery owner..... She might have been a deranged old woman, but he couldn’t be sure ... finally myself ..... And she’d stand there trying not to slump and ignoring the ache in the arch of her back, and all the time knowing full well that there would never be a time better than this. It comes, I think from trying to maintain a third person narrative and then letting the characters take charge.
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, I am sure that you had visited Parkinson’s Gallery that afternoon as well and seen Kate dressed in all the sweaters with the catalog in her hand. I love your description of her behavior in the gallery; I could see her too.
Perhaps she is a bitter woman indeed. I’m wondering if she loved truly Simon Hedges long time ago. If she did, she shouldn’t sell his paintings because they are a part of him. I wouldn’t. I’d organize a gallery on my own. Love is love Smile
And if she treats his works like a memory of her past and her beauty, she should keep the picture showing her best time to cheer her up, and the other paintings she should sell and set out on a wonderful journey, for example.
Now I’m wondering why women love bastards so much… Smile
It was pleasure to read this interesting story. You caught Kate's emotions very well. But no woman should think in this way :"how terrible it is to see me at my best when my best is long gone." It's great that she was beautiful! She should be proud, I think. Old women have young souls, I believe.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Now I’m wondering why women love bastards so much… "

It's my guess, jolanta, that there is little difference between them, and women born and bred in innocence are not experienced enough to tell them apart. On the other hand ... it works both ways, doesn't it?

Glad you enjoyed the story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Feedback Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: