- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - person/people's thoughts

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

person/people's thoughts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> The Art and Craft of Writing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: person/people's thoughts Reply with quote

Hey I was editing a huge manuscript of mine that I started in high school. It's not a great read but I think with a big re-edit it may be workable. I was wondering, when someone has a thought how do you put into the story correctly?

Example, I want a sandwich John thought. My question is do you put quotes around it? No quotes, nothing? I could really use some help on this as my characters tend to be introspective types.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way I know to separate thoughts from speech is by putting the thought in italics, ignoring the quotes. Trouble is, of course, is the problem of html typography on the internet. The single quote you illustrate is an acceptable alternate, (using the double quote for actual dialogue.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Okay thanks. Hmm I always thought I was doing it wrong! Guess not, and yeah italics works too..just not as well on the computer. Go figure. I want to try and post some of my edited stuff on here once I get everything re-edited.
I've been working on An Interesting Idea again. Editing the dialogue right now, which is taking a long time (3 jobs doesn't help Wink ) But once it's retyped I may put it on here again.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heidi,

My characters have a lot of introspection (or inner thinks) too. The trouble is, they also use telepathy. I differentiate between the two by using italics alone for introspection and quotes with italics for telepathy. (At least for the time being.) I'm not sure this will be helpful to you, but it might be something for you to think about. Wink

Good luck with your edits.

shadowlight

Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Ah thanks. I've been just waiting for someone to respond to this post :;: I finally sent Harry a PM 'cause I really needed a response! No offense meant to anyone of course. Thanks for your post, at this point any help is good help Very Happy
liseely

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: You can surf the Internet access to relevant Reply with quote

You can surf the Internet access to relevant data and information, and discuss with friends, maybe can help you, wish you good luck.

buy gw2 gold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> The Art and Craft of Writing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: