- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 168 Bench

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 168 Bench

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: 500 X 168 Bench Reply with quote

Hi all, sorry this is so late. I've been busy. Wink Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you come up with for this one. Peritnent information below.

I got the picture from my friend,Kira's site, but I think it's defunct now. (Sorry it is so small)

Have fun,
shadowlight
with God all things are possible

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too Young to See

Harry Buschman

We sat there, the two of us, until night came. Just the two of us – quiet in the memory of the blazing sunset – the crescendo of light and color. The sea was dark now, nearly as dark as the sky. It lapped gently at the shore and ran back out again. It was a kind of gentle breathing of the surf and the sea, and neither of us wanted any more. We talked about it. It was our first sunset together and it meant more to us than all the other sunsets we had seen before we met.

We made a promise to each other to come back and see the sun set again. We knew it would come again. The sky, the sea and the shore would always be there, the same as they were before. Time would not age the sea and the sky. To see it again ... just once more. It might bring this wonderful night back again.

Years later I came back, alone. It wasn't the same. It's never the same when you're alone. It never looks the same to one person the way it does to two. The difference lies in ourselves – the way we remember things – the way we see. All great things are better when they're seen together.

I sat on the same bench and waited for night to come. It came slowly, until at last the sky drew a dark curtain gently across the dome of Heaven, and the stars, one by one, let the light in from above. We didn’t stay long enough to see that before. We were too young to see the night, weren’t we?

But it was there all the time.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: good Reply with quote

Wow, I am impressed as usual. You always make something so simple sound so profound. Then again I suppose that what any writer is supposed to be able to do. Sorry I haven't been on lately, trying to get used to my new job and learning to drive there. This week has been particularly crazy. I will post something as soon as I have time, energy and a good story! I feel like I may have seen this picture elsewhere, but I could be wrong.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Waiting (WC 500) Reply with quote

Hi all,

Sorry I'm so late, as usual. Having difficulty working on new material at the moment. Wink Anyway, here it is. More freewrite. Thanks for taking a look.

shadowlight

Waiting
© Marlicia Fernandez (WC 500) 5-15-10

Tiny waves broke against the shore in gentle swells, their soft lapping almost too soft to hear. Sari stood in front of the empty bench and gazed across the water. It shimmered in the late afternoon sun. He was late. She shaded her eyes and sighed. And there was so much she wanted to say.

Seagulls circled above her, their cries carrying in the stillness of the beach. In a way she wished she could join them. But that would be cowardly. No one liked a coward.

Maybe he wouldn’t show. It had happened before. He’d let her know he was back, set up a meeting and then…not show up. The first time she’d waited for hours for him—not wanting to stay, but not willing to leave either. Not until she knew he was all right.

Sea breezes whipped her hair into her face. Sari pushed in back behind her ears with an impatient gesture. She plopped onto the bench and pulled her sweater tight. Every time he didn’t show, she vowed never again. Never again would she allow him to play her for a fool. And yet…here she was.

Across the water, lights flickered before bursting into a rainbow of color. Faint calliope music grew louder until it drowned out the scolding sea birds and the lapping wavelets. The carnival was awakening with the setting sun. Had so much time passed?

Whistling approached and Sari’s heart raced. Could it be? Maybe this time he’d made it. Maybe this time he’d kept his promise and come. She turned toward the sound and her hope vanished like sea mist in the sun.

The unfamiliar man tipped his hat and smiled. “Evenin’ little lady. Beautiful night to watch the sea, isn’t it?” The small dog she hadn’t noticed before strained at the leash. The man tipped his hat again and allowed the animal to pull him forward. “Best not to stay out to late on your own. Too lonely a spot. And they say the ghosts of wrecked boats visit in the dark.”

He shuffled along behind his dog still mumbling to himself. “Those ghosts get lonely sometimes. Like to mix with the living. Bring them home. Sometimes the living the mix with never return.”
His laughter carried back to Sari, but she could no longer make out his words. She shrugged. It didn’t matter. She’d heard all the tales of ghosts and kidnappings. Outrageous and absurd, they were the reason she came here night after night once he’d disappeared on the sea. Normally, she wouldn’t have believed. She was smarter than that.

But then the letters began arriving. Letters begging her to meet him. They contained information no one knew but them. But he never arrived.

A blood moon rose. Tears stung at her eyes. He wasn’t coming. Again.

“You said nothing could keep our love apart,” she murmured. “You lied.”

Mist gathered on the water in the form of a man. It held out one hand. “I never lie.”

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,

I, too, am impressed. You get so much out of a simple picture. It does seem to bring out the melancholy, doesn't it? I have lots of questions about these too people. I'd love to know more about their lives between the meeting and now. Nice work, my friend. It was, as always, a pleasure.

shadowlight

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They called it the "widows" bench, and it was set up at the edge of the sea ... oh well, that's another story, isn't it. That's the nice thing about vague, out of focus little pictures like these/ They allow an almost infinite number of interpretations. I like your mysterious little man with the dog Marlicia and the half heard calliope, they added a great deal to the story.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on this for me, Harry. I really appreciate it. Thank you also for the explanation. I'd never heard them called "widows'" benches, but I can understand why they might be. Would love to hear that 'other story' sometime.

It makes me happy that you like the mysterious little man and his dog. I have no idea who they are. They just kind of popped in along with the calliope. There's something 'moody' and haunting about a half-heard calliope, don't you think?

Thanks again, Harry. Will be posting another image soon.

God bless,
shadowlight
with God all things are possible

Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: awesome story Reply with quote

I liked this story. Admittedly I was a bit skeptical at first when I saw Harry's comment about a man and a dog...since we all know stuff like that has been done a lot before. But the way you did in your story wax just right, and it fits with the rest of the story nicely. No big conversation, just simple yet profound. I never thought that the person she was waiting for was already gone or a ghost or both! It's amazing what we can get out of one little picture isn't it? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: