- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 173 Owl

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 173 Owl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: 500 X 173 Owl Reply with quote

Here's the next prompt. I hope you have fun with it and I look forward to seeing what you come up with for it. It comes from my friend Vinny's Multiply site for 7-8-10.

God bless,
shadowlight
with God all things are possible

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forest of the Night

Harry Buschman

It brings to mind the tiger, tiger burning bright in the forests of the night. Did He who made the lamb for the tiger, make the mouse for the owl? What does the lamb think when the tiger springs, what does the mouse think when he hears the beating of wings? Do they think the same? Do they dread the forest of the night?

In the last moment before the claws grip and the beak rips does the mouse wonder why? What was it all for? Is this why I'm here? What immortal hand did frame this mystery?

I never met a mouse or a lamb who died in bed, with his family gathered around him. They will not mourn their brother or their father, nor remember them with fond thoughts. They will not curse the owl or regret that violent death is ordained long ago ... it is part of the game. The hunter and the hunted must play by the rules of the game. It is written on the stone

When the stars threw down their spears
And water'd heaven with their tears,
Did He smile His work to see?
Did He who made the lamb make thee?

But I have a question Father ... the lamb and the mouse feel the pain, donít they? Where is the sense in that? Can You answer that ... it seems important to me. Is that part of the game?
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: story Reply with quote

Okay so here's my contribution. Came up with it at the spur of the moment so it may not be that great.

Computer Generated
By Heidi Yang
7/26/10

"That owl looks so CG." Adam said giving his friend a dubious look.
"Yeah so?" Darrin replied. "It's not that bad looking in the game."
"I sure hope not." Adam said closing the picture. "So remind me, why am I trying this game again?"
"You said you would give a shot because it was free."
"Oh right, we'll see about that." Adam said as he clicked on an icon of an owl on Darrin's desktop. The start up screen asked him to either log in or create a new character. He clicked create new character and was taken to another screen that let him customize his avatar. He decided he wanted to be a guy in the game, it was too confusing when you tried to be the opposite sex. He picked out a dark blue cape and some black clothes. His character's hair was brown and so were the eyes. Soon he was dropped into a world where the were owls, dragons and other mythical creatures. "Guess you were right for once." Adam said. "They don't look too bad."
"I told you." Darrin replied with a smile.
"So now what?" Adam asked. "Is there some sort of quest I need to do?"
"Well, sort of."
"What do you mean sort of?" Adam asked frowning. "Hey what's that?"
"What?"
"Uh there's a giant brown owl flying around your room that's what." Adam replied pointing towards the window. "And what's up with your clothes? You look like a knight or something."
"Like you look any better?"
"What are you talking about?" Adam asked, he glanced down and saw he was wearing his character's clothing. "Okay what's going on here?!"
"I forgot to mention this game is more interactive than most."
"Interactive? Are you trying to tell me we're in the game?"
"Well, last I checked there weren't trees in my room."
"Trees? Okay now you're-" Adam stopped. The room was slowly changing from Darrin's room to a giant forest with a dirt path.
"Where are we?"
"Welcome to Owl City, or at least the outskirts of it." Darrin said as he started walking.
"Hey wait for me!" Adam cried as he nearly tripped on his robe. 'Next time I pick out a character they aren't going to have such a goofy outfit.' he thought. "This is one heck of game Darrin!"
"Yeah I thought so, but don't go wandering off by yourself, I can't have you dying in here."
"But it's just a game, it's not like you die in real life right?"
"Who says you don't?"
"You're joking right?"
"No, now hurry up or we're going to be late."
"Late for what?"
"You'll see now come on, there's a lot of creatures in this forest that would like to make sure you don't make it back to the real world."
"Okay I'm coming." Adam said with a huff as he took off his robe. His friend walked quickly without talking. 'I had no idea this is what he meant when he said it was interactive.' Adam thought.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I have a puff of that before you flick it away, Heidi ... Fantastic take! I had a grandson who was the spitting image of Darrin; I say 'had' because he's grown up and into other things now. Anyway. you've created a memorable little vignette. Save it, it has tremendous possibilities -- could be another Adam in Wonderland.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for your compliments Harry. I may actually do as you say and keep this around. I keep wanting to write some sort of fantasy novel but haven't had any good sort of original ideas. When I was writing it I was thinking of this show where people get dropped into a video game but they die in real life. In the show they have to defeat some really high level players in order to beat the game and return to normal. I was also playing an online game at the time.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Flight Reply with quote

Hi all,

Sorry I'm so late with this. Things have been busy with me and today's my hubby's birthday which means a busy weekend too. Wink But I'll try to post a new image in the next day or two. In the meantime, thanks for taking a look at this. Haven't done poetry in a long time so I apologize in advance.

God bless,
shadowlight

Flight
© Marlicia Fernandez 8-4-10

He flies
Wings outstretched
Catching breezes,
Riding currents
Only to return to his beginnings

He doesnít stay.

Things are different
Nothing remains to hold him.

He is free
Alone
Searching for something
Elusive

And so he flies

Where does he go?
What does he see?
Far below, through the gaps in the trees?
Not what he seeks
Not what he needs

He banks in the air
A lost soul racing over
Hills, forests, plains and rivers
Covered by mists or hidden
In the blazing sun
They speed by without compassion
A blur that mocks his
Loneliness.

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,

I really enjoyed your take on the prompt. You make me feel sorry for the lamb and the mouse. I guess when the world was first created they weren't meant to be eaten by anyone, but then came the fall...

Very well done, my friend.

Heidi,

I really enjoyed this piece. It reminds me of something I wrote a long time ago, but it wasn't with computer games, but with role playing games that are done like re-enactments. I agree with Harry, put this in a file somewhere and see what you can do with it later. Nice work!

Thanks for sharing these, Harry and Heidi. Your talent really shows in your little snippets and they were a pleasure to read.

God bless,
shadowlight

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never, well hardly ever, comment on poetry. To me it's something like criticizing the shape of a new baby's head or the physical deformity of someone I might meet on the street. It's too personal to dare comment on, every word carefully weighed as to primary meaning, secondary connotations and meter. I get lost in it. Maybe because I was a dogface in the army and men who liked poetry never made it through a ten mile hike. I see your pictures in this one though, Marlicia.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, I know what you mean about getting lost in poetry. It's what I startred writing, but I don't do much in the way of formal poetry (except maybe Haiku now and then) and so I don't often comment on it either, except to say what I liked or if I got a little confused (not uncommon, Wink ) I thank you for taking the time to read and comment and for your kind words. It makes me happy that you can see the picture in this.

God bless,
shadowlight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: