- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 174 Green

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 174 Green

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: 500 X 174 Green Reply with quote

Hi all, here's the new prompt. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Pertinent info:

The image was sent to me via mobile phone. I don't know who it belongs to but will gladly give credit. Please use only as inspiration for your writing.

Have fun...and God bless,
shadowlight
with God all things are possible

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: A Meeting Called (WC 500) Reply with quote

Hey, I'm not late. How did that happen? LOL. Anyway, here it is. Freewrite as usual. Thanks for taking a look. Wink

God bless,
shadowlight

A Meeting Called
© Marlicia Fernandez (WC 500) 8-7-10

The forest was quiet.

Too quiet.

No birds sang, no squirrels scampered across his path. Not a breeze dared to whisper through the boughs overhead. And bear with an apologetic swing of his great head, had beat a hasty retreat. It wasn’t natural. Sabin sent his senses out, probing in all directions. A thin veneer of magic enveloped everything in the vicinity for a quarter of a mile. And the magic was familiar—if altered.

Maybe that was what had scared away the wildlife. Maybe that’s why the hair on the back of his neck stood on end and his heart pounded.

Sabin crept through the trees, keeping to the shadows. Dappled sunlight helped hide him from the unseen one wandering the woods with him, but shadows did the job better. “And I need to find the source of the magic I sense before my unknown fellow traveler does, either by mistake for design,” he murmured. “I don’t know if he’s magician or ordinary, friend or foe.”

A soft crackling, so faint Sabin wondered if he imagined it, broke the silence. He lifted his head, straining to hear. The tell-tale crackle sounded again, louder now that he knew what to listen for. Sabin padded around stumps and over logs, without a sound. He slowed when a greenish light cut a swath across the fallen leaves and branches. A trick of the sun?

Not likely.

Sabin hurried forward. The presence he’d sensed earlier drew closer. The source of the magic had to be found before the other arrived. Sabin lifted his head, reading the air to determine the distance between them. He frowned. His undesired shadow approached rapidly. More disturbing, he seemed to know where he was going. But I’m already here. That gives me the advantage.

He allowed his senses to latch on to the magic he felt. Gradually, the essence grew stronger, the light more intense. The purple gemstone hanging around his neck under his shirt warmed, but did not burn. Could it be one of the other key-stones? Hope and fear sent his pulse racing. Maybe he’d finally found a clue to Larana and Talan’s whereabouts.

The object rose out of the ground of its own accord, almost tripping him. Sabin righted himself with a muttered oath and knelt to examine it. The green stone set it what appeared to be either silver or itldyn had a vaguely purple tinge to it. He pulled his gloves from their pouch, put them on and picked up the piece. When he turned it over, he found it to be jagged, as if it were broken.

And the back of the gem was purple, not green.

“Kiaola.” Sabin slipped his hand to the stone hanging from the chain around his neck. He pulled it out when he sensed the arrival of his fellow wander, leaving the gem in place. “Show yourself. What is it you seek?”

A man stepped out of the shadows. “Only what is mine. Give me the gemstone.”

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pair of buyers from Tiffany's no doubt. No wonder the bear shook his head in disgust and walked off. These prompts really push your fantasy button, Marlicia. You have a talent for a life with Disney Productions – keep dreaming!
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Inheritance

Harry Buschman

Her name was Madge, but on the street everyone knew her as “sister.” Bag ladies never use their real name. She pushed a Walmart cart she found in a parking lot on Third Avenue and in it was everything she owned.

Except one thing, and that was a pin her grandmother gave her when she was little. “If things ever get tough,” her grandmother said, “remember you’ve got this to fall back on ... it’s worth a fortune, Madge.”

It was on her mind at the moment. She took one hand off the handle of the shopping cart and felt three layers down to her underwear to make sure it was still there. It was.

They told her in the emergency room last week that she’d be dead in less than a year if she didn’t get out of New York. She’d be lucky if she made it through the winter they said. She knew that. Long before they ever told her ... she knew that. She had very little breath left and pushing the cart uphill or down was becoming too much for her.

When you’re pushing a shopping cart on the street it’s not easy to stop off at a jeweler and sell a priceless pin ... not when you’re wearing a pair of men’s jeans, three sweaters and a pale lavender hat over a head of hair that hasn’t been combed in more than a year.

And Abe, the pawnbroker wouldn’t touch it either ... “What do I know from jewelry? Do I look like a Tiffany? You got a violin? A catcher’s mitt with Yogi Berra’s signature? We can do business. Otherwise bug off sister, Abe Silver wasn’t born yesterday.”

Her last chance was Father McKenzie. He would understand, and to make him listen she would tell him the story, the whole story before her breath failed her completely ... in the confessional where everything you say must be the truth. “She was a gentle lady, Father ... the wife of Richard Simmons ... he owned the Boston and Maine Railroad ... the only railroad line in New England ... they had a summer house at the cape ... they had no children ... I used to spend summers there.”

She went on breathlessly. “She gave me this ... isn’t it lovely? ... my grandfather gave it to her ... on their fiftieth wedding anniversary.”

Father McKenzie glanced at the pin and looked back again at Madge through the little window in the confessional booth. She had slumped back in her seat. Her eyes were closed. He entered her side of the booth and felt for a pulse. He could barely detect one, if indeed there was any at all, Reaching under his cassock he pulled out his cell phone and dialed 911. He took the pin and put it with the other useless items in her shopping cart. He made a mental note to have the sexton wheel it out to the trash in the morning.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: comments Reply with quote

I enjoyed reading both of your stories Harry and Marlicia. I enjoyed the atmosphere you created Marlica. I thought that you created a very memorable character Harry. I felt kind of bad that she never got to see if that gem was worth anything.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry wrote:
A pair of buyers from Tiffany's no doubt. No wonder the bear shook his head in disgust and walked off. These prompts really push your fantasy button, Marlicia. You have a talent for a life with Disney Productions – keep dreaming!

No doubt, LOL. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment, Harry. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll do my best to keep dreaming. Thank you for your encouragement. (The prompts do tend to push my fantasy buttons. Wink )

God bless,
Marlicia

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,

I still like this story. It's such a wonderful character sketch of not one, but two people. I feel sorry for both the lady and the priest. Sad that the lady couldn't get anyone to believe her, and sad that the poor priest didn't think to at least check on the veracity of her claim. He is only human after all. Very well written, albeit, somewhat sad little tale. I enjoyed it very much. Well done!

God bless,
Marlicia

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: comments Reply with quote

Heidi wrote:
I enjoyed reading both of your stories Harry and Marlicia. I enjoyed the atmosphere you created Marlica. I thought that you created a very memorable character Harry. I felt kind of bad that she never got to see if that gem was worth anything.

Thanks for reading and commenting, Heid. I thank you also for your kind words. Will you be writing something to this? I'd love to see more of your work. Thanks again.

God bless,
Marlicia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: