- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 181 Building

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 181 Building

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: 500 X 181 Building Reply with quote

Hi all,
Here's the next image. It comes to us courtesy of Cara. (Thanks, Cara). Pertinent information here: http://www.westendtheatre.com/tag/london-palladium/
I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Have fun.
God bless,
shadowlight
with God allt things are possible

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Palladium

Harry Buschman

It was a building of uninspired institutional character. Similar to other buildings erected for the same purpose, an international place of imprisonment of the soul. A place to put people ... out of the way ... hidden.

These cold, spiritless buildings are everywhere. They chill the soul. They’re an expression of defeat and rot the lives of the people who live or work there,

A sanitarium perhaps for the incurably sick, for the mad, the orphaned, for the veterans of wars that no longer have meaning, for the poor and the elderly. A Gulag perhaps, for prisoners of the state who might or might not be there when a relative comes to see them. For thieves and murderers. For ladies of the night.

The windows are dark at night. There are no sounds of laughter or life from inside. A passerby might think the building was empty if it weren’t for the muted sound of suffering from deep inside. I think that’s why they called them by their Greek name, “Palladiums” ... places of refuge. It keeps the inhabitants safe from us and us safe from them.

It was in just such a building that E.A. Poe spent his last night. He awoke in a cell and called for the guard .... “Can someone tell me the time? Please! I have things to do, appointments to keep.” He struggled to his feet and the effort made his head swim. He was aware of a faint silvery light in the high window at the end of the room.

He had been in a frenzy all night. No one in the emergency ward could sleep, and since four am this morning he asked for the time. No one answered him; the guard knew there was no more time for this madman.

“Sleep. Sleep, old man,” the guard looked at him through the barred window in the locked door. “You are dying, old man – let the rest of us sleep.”

“Where am I?” he asked.

“Washington College Hospital, old man. They picked you up last night in the 4th Ward Saloon.” He wagged his head in admiration. “I never did see a man so drunk.”

“I have every right to drink,” He assumed a dignity which was pitiful to see as he stood half naked by the side of his unmade bed. He could only see the eyes in the small window; they were curious eyes. Pitiless. The eyes of a man waiting for the wire walker to fall, for the suicide to pull the trigger. “I asked you what time it was, my good man. Don’t you know what time it is?”

“Of course I know the time. Time means nothing to you, old man.”

He was not really an old man – barely past forty, at an age when most men are at the peak of their powers – when the training pays off and the world comes to sit at his feet. He sat now, on the very edge of his wrinkled bed ... “Oh God, Oh God, I’ve dined with demons and drank with devils. Come Berenice and Lenore. Come and sit with me. We will listen to the bells. We will sit by the shore of my kingdom, and there will be music to make love by ... “ He buries his head in his hands. “Oh God, Oh God, I smell of mortality.”
Cara
Poster Practitioner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: The London Palladium Reply with quote

(Untitled)

My friends had dared me to go in, but I didn't have to say yes. Eventually, I said I would go, but only if one of them came with me. We both packed rucksacks, with everything we'd need for the night, then we set off.

"Cripes, Jimmy, it's so damned dark." Eddie whispered.
"Course it's dark, you idiot. The windows are all boarded up. Not that it would matter in here." I whispered back. I don't know why I was whispering, it just felt right. Our voices were echoing in the huge auditorium, even though we were both so quiet. We were standing in the Upper Circle, and when I flicked on my torch, we could see right down to the stage.

I had a moment of sadness then. At the fact that the place had got into the state it had, at the fact that we could do nothing about it. But I put it out of my head, at least for the moment.
"Hey, Jim, d'you reckon the electric still works?" Eddie asked softly, eyeing the lights above the seats, and the stage lights.
"Don't be daft." I scoffed. "Even if it did, we'd never find the controls."
"You're probably right." Eddie shrugged. "Shall we try?"
"No."
"Ah, well." He shrugged. "I'd have loved to have seen it lit up, that's all. Just once. So I could see how your Granddad would have seen it."

I was quiet then, thoughtful. I started walking after a minute, even though I didn't really know my way around. Eddie followed me, curious.
"Where the heck are we going?" He asked.
"I'm gonna try and find the dressing rooms. Granddad says they're through the doors at the side of the stage." I whispered.
"Ah, right." Eddie paused. "What did you say this place was called again?"
"The Palladium. It was really famous. Granddad used to work here." I answered. "He started in 2010. Seventy years ago this year." I added.
"What is it he tells you?" Eddie asked, stopping for a second, smiling.
I coughed, getting ready for my best Granddad impression.
"Back in 2010, when I worked there, it was always full. I was so proud, to be working in a place like that. There was a show on nearly every night, and the actors, by God, they were a good crowd. The actresses weren't bad either." I paused then, and did a Granddad- type chuckle. "I worked there for twenty years. The best twenty years of my life."

Eddie exhaled deeply, the expression on his face a mix between deep thought and sadness.
"It would break his heart if he saw this." He gestured across the deserted, shabby auditorium.
"That's why we're not going to tell him." I was firm, my voice no longer a whisper. "Ever. This place is like his...He's got a load of happy memories from here, we're not going to ruin it for him. Promise me, Eddie." I looked at him.
"I promise."
"Thank you." I nodded.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really shut down? I seem to remember The Sound of Music and The King and I were there just a few years ago ... and do I remember my grandfather telling me he was in something by G&S there? Nice piece Cara ... worthy of a longer story.
Linda
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry wrote:
He was not really an old man – barely past forty, ... “Oh God, Oh God, I’ve dined with demons and drank with devils. Come Berenice and Lenore. Come ...

Well written Harry...

Linda

As usual, your writing pushes me to read more...found an interesting site:
http://www.eapoe.org/geninfo/poedeath.htm
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: The Facade (WC 500) Reply with quote

Hi all,

Here's mine. Had to rush it, but thought I'd share anyway. Thanks for taking a look. Will read everyone else's as soon as I have a little time. My husband's waiting for me now.

God bless,
shadowlight
with God all things are possible

The Façade
© Marlicia Fernandez 12-09-10 (WC 500)

The great stone edifice stood against the gray, pre-dawn skies that promised yet more rain. It dwarfed the surrounding buildings that stood in its faint shadow. Zarin pulled his hood over his head and clutched his cloak closer. “What are we doing here?”

“You tell me. You’re the one who came lookin’ for me.” Baynor shrugged. “Do you want the information or not?”

“Of course I want it, but this…” Zarin swept his arm toward the building. “This is a theater. What does a theater have to do with what I’m looking for?”

Baynor scowled. “If you don’t trust me or my abilities, why’d you drag me into this?”

“It’s not a matter of trust,” Zarin said. “It’s a matter of time. I don’t have enough to waste.”

“And I do?” He raised an eyebrow. “A little faith, please. If you’re here, it’s for a reason.”

The sun peeked out from behind the threatening clouds. Zarin shuddered. It’s too bright, too open. I don’t like it. “What reason?”

He nodded toward the entrance. “That reason.”

“What?” Zarin squinted, trying to see what it was Baynor was talking about. “I don’t see anything.”

“We got to get closer.” He gave Zarin a little shove. “Come on.”

Zarin glanced left and right, studied the entrance and alleyways for possible escape routes. He’d gone to Baynor against his better judgment. If the man played him false, Zarin wanted a way out. They stopped on the front steps, staring up at a giant playbill. “What am I looking for?”

Baynor sighed and inclined his head toward the advertisement. “That.”

“That? What do you mean that?” Zarin glanced at the drawing, the writing...times, dates, nothing unusual. “What’s so important about that?”

“Come on, Zarin, what you do, leave your brain in the Maze?”

“Shhh…” Zarin scanned the area, exhaling soft and low when he neither sensed not saw anyone nearby. He smacked Baynor on the back. “Do you want to tell everyone what we are?”

Baynor rubbed the sore spot. “You’re stronger than you look, kid.”

Zarin glared at him. “Are you going to tell me what I’m looking for or not?”

“Or not, I’m thinkin’” Baynor leaned against the building, arms crossed and inclined his head toward the playbill in question. “Take a closer look, Zarin. I’m sure you can figure it out if you try.”

“I don’t have time for games,” Zarin snapped. He looked closer at the words, the pictures on the announcement. “Last performance tomorrow night…” He ran his finger down the bill. “Future engagements…Creator in Cennet, why didn’t you tell me Carault was in town?”

Baynor grinned. “Did good, didn’t I?”

“Yeah, ‘you did good’. If you’re on the level.” The large front doors opened and Zarin slipped into the shadows thrown by one of the many arches gracing the building. People spilled out, chattering about the show. “Come on. I know where our man should be. If he’s here.” Zarin slipped inside the building. “You better hope he is.”

Last edited by shadowlight on Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,

Your story made me sad. It's so dark. I love the tie in with E. A. Poe. That was sad too. To think that such a wonderful writer would end that way. Really loved the last lines. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Cara,

Interesting take on the prompt. I would have loved for them to have found the electricity so I could see inside. Wink You've got some great characterization of the boys here . I love the way they don't want to shatter the old man's memories. I agree with Harry there is more to this...you just have to write it. Well done!

God bless, all,
shadowlight
with God all things are possible

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good start, Marlicia. Glad they found what they were looking for. Who's Carault? For that matter. who is Baynor and Zarin? I get the feeling there's more to this than meets the eye. Dialogue is great, just this side of street talk ... the characters are people.
Cara
Poster Practitioner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Much appreciated as always!
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry wrote:
Good start, Marlicia. Glad they found what they were looking for. Who's Carault? For that matter. who is Baynor and Zarin? I get the feeling there's more to this than meets the eye. Dialogue is great, just this side of street talk ... the characters are people.

Thanks for taking a look, Harry. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Carault is...complicated. A thief and a thespian, I think, but he hasn't clarified yet. Baynor is a criminal of some sort, I think...possibly petty or mid-level. Zarin is...not what he seems. Wink And you're right, there is more to this than meets the eye. These characters (or at least Zarin) have their own story that is waiting to be told. Whether or not this scene actually makes it into the story is anyone's guess. Thank you so much for the compoliment about the dialgoue and characterization. I consider that a high compliment that I will treasure.

God bless, my friend, and thanks again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: