- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 192 Room

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 192 Room

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: 500 X 192 Room Reply with quote

Hi all,

Here's this week's prompt. I got it from one of my Multiply sites a long time ago. If anyone knows who is responsible for the image I will gladly give credit. Please use only to spark your muse. Have fun and I can't wait to see what you come up with.

God bless,
shadowlight
with God all things are possible

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dark Room

Harry Buschman

The room is dark. It seems to me the light of day never finds its way in here. There are children outside but I can't hear them. It's quiet, so quiet I can hear a pin drop. Why can't I hear the children's voices? Why does life seem to stop outside my window?

Look at the mountainside, warm in the summer sun, the sheep in the field and the corn already shoulder high. Life stops at my window and will not venture into this dark room. The dark in here is real, the summer scene outside is a picture in my head from long ago. My mind is playing tricks on me again ... I remember it now.

The children stripped them. They sold their wrist watches in the street when we rolled in, and every dead one we saw had his pockets pulled inside out. Pictures of loved ones scattered in the street and pennies on their eyes so God could not see what the children were doing. From then on it was up to us. We gathered as much ID as we could ... the war would end one day ... we shook hands without looking at each other and then they asked where they were.

We plowed the corn. It wasn't ripe yet, but the ground was soft and the crows didn't mind. They're still there, out there in the warm summer sun. The children are grown now and the ones I see are the new batch that have no knowledge of that day. They look at their watches and wonder where the time went.

It will always be dark in this room.
Linda
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Harry! I felt the darkness even without the image. Sorry for the late response...sometimes I can't post. I should have tried to write something BEFORE I read your story. Now, all I see and feel is the darkness! Good job. Smile

Linda
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Questions (WC 500) Reply with quote

Sigh, better late than never, I guess. (I do apologize.) Very rough free-write, but I'm glad to have something to post. Thanks for taking a look.

God bless,
Marlicia

Questions
©Marlicia Fernandez 10-12-11 (WC 500)

The cabin had all the trappings of home. But it wasn’t home. The view from the corner kitchen window was different. Pretty enough, but not home. Wooded hills didn’t roll along across the landscape at home. They were the things of dreams. And all the green. She couldn’t remember the last time she’d seen so much green outside of the bank where she worked, or the art gallery where she sold her paintings. Deserts didn’t do green. Lots of tans, browns, blues, even reds, oranges and the occasional yellow, but this much green? In her desert home green was an accent, not a mainstay.

“You stare out the window like you’ve never seen the view.”

Reluctantly, she turned. The man smiled, but was foreign to her. “Maybe I haven’t.” She leaned against the counter and sighed. “Who are you? Where am I?”

“You don’t know me?” His smile faded. “They said your memory would return in time, Cara, but I thought...” He shook his head. “We can’t rush it.”

My name is Cara? Her eyes swept over him. I know him? “Rush what? What are you talking about?”

He took the teapot from the stove and moved to the pump.

Who had a pump in the kitchen anymore? They’d been replaced by indoor plumbing years ago.

He filled the pot with water and returned it to the burner. A twist of a knob lit the gas flame beneath it. “I know this is all new and frightening to you, but you’ve got to be patient.”

She stared at him. “Patient?” she whispered. “How can I be patient? I don’t know what I’m waiting for. Except the answer to my questions.” She pushed away from the counter. “You called me Cara, so I’m going to assume that’s who I am.” A thin column of smoke spiraled out of the teapot’s spout. Soon it would whistle. “But you still haven’t told me who you are.”

“You shouldn’t ask so many questions.” He yanked a cupboard door open and pulled out two tin cups. “I’ve told you too much already.”

“Told me too much already?” Cara sputtered. “You haven’t told me anything.”

He grabbed the metal handle to pull the pot from the stove, only to release it with a muttered oath. Cara hurried to his side. “Let me do that. You run your hand under some cool water. Then we’ll assess the damage. Honestly, you’re as helpless as a child.” She pulled open drawers until she found a folded dishtowel. “Didn’t your mother ever teach you that metal gets hot?”

A sheepish grin spread across his face. “I seem to remember her saying something to that effect.” He worked the pump with his uninjured hand, holding the burn beneath the stream. “It’s not a bad burn.”

“Good.” Cara poured hot water over the teabags already in the cups and handed him one. “Why do I feel like you’re keeping more than who I am from me? What else are you hiding? ”

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Harry,

This is so sad and very dark. War is such an awful thing and you've portrayed a soldier's feelings well. Well written, even if it did make me want to cry.

I'm sorry for the late response, part of it has been busy-ness, and part not being able to get in, as Linda said...and then there was some just plain laziness. So I do apologize. I am, however glad I came back to read. it was well worth it.

God bless,
Marlicia

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting beginning, Marlicia. Cara starts off from square one, trying to piece her past together. She remembers the colors of the desert. the money in the bank, her paintings on the wall of the gallery ... but the cabin is foreign to her ... so is the man. You've got my attention.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harry,

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on this for me. I really appreciate it as always. It makes me happy that I got your attention with this. I'm not sure exactly what's going on (they tell me so little in 500 words, LOL), but I'll save it for possible future expansion.

God bless and thanks again for your kind words,
Marlicia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: