- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 202 Alone

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 202 Alone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: 500 X 202 Alone Reply with quote

The image image is not mine. It was created by Nick Brandt. Please use only for inspiration purposes.

Here's another prompt for you. I hope it sparks your creativity.
God bless,
shadowlight
with God all things are possible

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alone in a barren field

Harry Buschman

Sometimes I feel l'm wasting my time out here, not getting anywhere. There's no one here to challenge me. It's hard to stay awake when you've got no one breathing down your neck.

I've just about reached the point where I'm content to sit here in this broad barren field and watch the sun go down. The hell with it, if I wait long enough it'll come back up again in the morning and I'll still be sitting here ... another day shot. Another day closer to the end.

When I was little .... what am I talking about! I was never little ... I should have said when I was younger ... no! That's not right either. I was never younger. What I mean is a long time ago. That's what I meant to say in the first place. It seems to me a long time ago things were different. You'd roll along and pick up stuff on the way ... every day. Accumulate, sort of. Growing a little bit day by day, and as time went by you'd gain in experience and knowledge. You'd be able to explain the ways of the world ... what life was all about ... how things worked ... what it all meant.

Look at me now. I'm not contributing a nickel's worth to myself or my family. I'm out of work. Next week the food stamps begin and I'm starting to fight with the others for the deposit bottles in the project dumpster ... livin' off the dole, like we used to say. Now when I stand up to give my opinion, nobody listens to me. I get the fish-eye ... and who can blame them? What do I know about anything anymore? So I sit down again, I keep quiet ... watch the sun go down and wait 'til morning.

Alone in a barren field with the sun going down and nothing much to do until morning.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Cerek's Birth (WC 500) Reply with quote

Hi, all,

Sorry I'm a bit late, as usual. A wedding this past weekend and an upsurge in work put me a bit behind. Wink Anyway, thanks in advance for taking a look.

God bless,
Marlicia

Cerek’s Birth
© Marlicia Fernandez 5-3-12 (WC 500)

Dereb glanced at the setting sun. “Let’s go. We don’t want to get caught in the Black Desert after sundown.”

“Stop worryin’. ‘Sides, we’re only on the edge of the desert.” Hendry shaded his eyes. “We got plenty of time to find what we’re lookin for.”

“Yeah, well, we better find it soon, or it won’t matter how close we are.” Dereb adjusted the strap of his water skin. “Mom’ll kill us for makin’ her worry if we’re late. Unless Dad beats her to it.”

Hendry shrugged. “Then we better find it fast.”

“If it exists. Nothing lasts long in the Black Desert. How do you expect to find— ”

“What’s that?” Hendry sprinted forward.

Dereb hurried to catch up. “What? I don’t see anything.”

“There. See it? Looks like it might be big enough.”

They stopped at an odd-sized, egg-shaped object. Disappointment swept over Dereb. “It’s a rock. And not very big either.”

“Come on, Der. It’s the right shape.”

“It may look like an egg, but…” Dereb tapped the rough surface. “It’s hard. Rough too.”

Hendry slid his fingers along the uneven surface. “The prophecies said it would be somewhere around here. And it would be really old.”

Dereb snorted. “That’s not old. It’s ancient. Fossilized. Nothin’s hatchin’ out of that. You read too much into the old stories.”

“And you don’t read enough into them,” Hendry murmured. He sighed and backed away from their find. “I don’t understand. It’s the right time and the right place.”

“Maybe the right time,” Dereb said. “But maybe not the right place. You know how the Black Desert is. Always playing tricks. ” He glanced at the darkening sky. “We really should get back.”

Hendry’s gaze followed his brother’s and his face fell. “Yeah. I guess.”

“Don’t worry. We’ll try again tomorrow.” Dereb pulled Hendry toward the petrified trees lining the Desert. Not completely safe, but better than braving the Desert. “Come on.”

The ground shook and Dereb picked up the pace, dragging his brother with him. The ground bucked and fell, threatening to trip them up. They stumbled into the trees to land in a gasping heap at the base of a small stand of saplings.

“What was that?”

Dereb looked over his brother’s shoulder at the now quiet desert. “I dunno.”

“Do you think the egg’ll be ok?”

“It’s not an egg, Hen.” Dereb sighed and got to his feet. “Yeah, I’m sure it’ll be fine. It’s lasted this long. We’ll go back tomorrow and check.”

Everything shook. Hard. His shelter cracked and broke. A stiff wind carried the top half away, exposing him to the elements. He wailed his displeasure. Nothing changed. His arms, legs, and body shifted and sprouted feathers. Protection…for now. The feathers disappeared without warning. He flailed his bare little arms and legs. Where were his protectors? They had found him. Why had they gone away? Did they not know he had a destiny? When he grew up, they would be the first to pay.

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Harry, I find this one very sad and depressing. It's very well written, so well written that it makes me feel for this person (at first I thought you were personifying the rock/egg who might have started life as a rolling stone.). Anyway, this made me want to shout out that every person's opinion matters, that everyone is important, especially those who have lots of experiences under their belt. I really liked this, Harry. Truly.

God bless, my friend,
Marlicia

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why, oh why didn't they pick the egg up and run with it when they had the chance. That's how brothers can be I guess ... they will rue the day when that bird comes to call. Let's hope the feathers grow back. Nice little yarn, Marlicia, you could write a great ending to it.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Harry,

Thanks for taking the time to read and to comment on this for me. I really appreciate it, as always. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this. It's actually back story for Prophecy Fulfilled. Cerek is a shape shifter and he's really bad news. He's been wanting me to write his story, but I'm not sure if I will or not. It could be fun.

God bless and have a wonderful day, my friend,
Marlicia

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some day you'll have to explain what a 'shape-shifter' is.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: stories Reply with quote

Just finished reading both of your stories. Sorry I haven't posted in awhile life has been busy as usual! I loved both of them but that's not surprising I guess. Harry's was very intriguing, rather bleak but that makes sense considering the 'rock's' mood. Marlicia I agree with Harry I bet you could write a good ending to this one. I certainly wouldn't want to be those brothers a few years down the road.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: