- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 207 Book

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 207 Book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: 500 X 207 Book Reply with quote

Hi, everyone,

Here's the next prompt. It comes from a friend's facebook page. I have no idea where he found it, but will gladly give credit. I can't wait to see what you come up with. God bless, and have fun.

shadowlight
with God all things are possible

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: The Offer (WC 500) Reply with quote

Wow! I can't believe how long it's taken me to post to this. I apologize for my lack of presence and will try to do better in the coming year. I hope everyone had a very blessed and Merry Christmas! Thanks for taking a look.

shadowlight

The Offer
© Marlicia Fernandez
12-26-12 (WC 500)

Rábkah stared into the darkened room, keeping to the deeper shadows thrown across the wall by the door. At least the map appears to be accurate. I didn’t teleport into a wall. Or a jail. The book should be around here somewhere. According to my source, in the center of the room. Maybe I should risk a light…

A shaft of moonlight pierced the darkness from a high window, illuminating a stand of some kind. There it is. Just like that double-crossing rat said. Chills skittered along her spine. But this is too easy. It feels wrong. Like a setup. I know I paid that two-faced, no account more than enough for his information AND for his silence, but what if someone offered more? She grimaced. If someone offered more, all bets were off.

She slid her knife a little lower in her sleeves and eased out of the shadows. No one appeared or tried to stop her. Rabak nibbled on her lip. If this book is so important, where are all the guards? If I can waltz in and out of here without any trouble why was I hired…?

“You were hired to see if you’re up to the task. You did well.” A tall, heavy set form dropped from the rafters. “I didn’t know you were here until you started talking to yourself.”

Her knives slipped into her hands. And I didn’t have any idea I wasn’t alone. Just who or what are you? “Come into the light where I can see you.”

“As you wish.” He shuffled forward. “I am what I am. You really shouldn’t think so loudly. It could cause problems if we decide we can use you.”

A telepath. She grit her teeth. Great. “Who’s we?”

“Yes, a telepath. And you teleport. The rest is unimportant.” He looked down on her, his expression bland. “Now that we’ve got all that straightened out, why don’t we discuss why you’re here?”

She adjusted her grip on her weapons. “You seem to know all the answers. Why don’t you tell me?”

“Voss Merlo is the least of your concerns. Don’t let your history with him sway you from your real purpose.”

“What do you know about…?” She swallowed her question. “My purpose is my own concern.”

He raised an eyebrow. “Our purpose is the same.”

“I doubt it.”

“Why don’t you take a look at the book?” He ran his fingers along the edge of its cover. “It’s what you came for, is it not?”

Her eyes swept over him; tall and broad, but not fat by any means. Agile too, if his drop from the ceiling was any indication. And skilled. This man could be trouble. Big trouble. She didn’t need any more trouble. “What’s your interest?”

“You want revenge. I can help you get it…if you help me first.”

“I don’t need your help.”

He smirked. “Really?”

“Really.”

A breeze turned the book’s pages. “Take a look in here and you may change your mind.”

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful Rábkah, I can see the "R" rating from here. The book may lead you astray. Look what it's done to that mis-shapened dwarf who just dropped from the rafters. Good start for a whiz-bang fantasy, Marlicia. I'm sure you'll find a way out of it for your heroine. You a;ways do. Have you actually been laboring over this for three months?
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Book of My Life

Harry Buschman

I read tonight 'til the candle guttered out. The room had grown cold and the silence in the room seemed to amplify the creaks and groans of the old house. It was useless to try and read any more – I had lost interest. The book meant nothing to me any more.

I stood up and walked to the window and parted the curtain a little. Outside, the street lamp at the corner was veiled in fog and the street was wet. The clock behind me made the usual preparatory sounds before striking, them the familiar throaty gong struck two. I was restless and I knew sleep would not come tonight.

In the last flicker of the candle wick I turned and closed the book. I knew I'd never finish it. A strange book ... my book of life ... how to cope with it and how to make a go of it. I started it when I was a boy. I took its advice page by page – and nothing ever turned out the way it said it would. I made footnotes along the way, the margins on each and every page bore the sad comments of a disappointed old man. Had I never done anything right? No!

How could I? Life tested me long before it taught me. I walked into every trap it set, every one was different than the one before and the road behind me was littered with the mistakes I made. The ungrateful dead lay broken in the path behind me. I have been profligate and only now – this evening – it has come back to haunt me.

I shall not sleep. Even though the book is closed its words are loud and clear.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harry!

Merry Christmas! Boy have I missed reading your work. For some reason this makes me sad. Surely there must have been good times recorded in the book of his life. Everyone has at least a couple of good times, right? It's sad to think he feels he wasted his life. Maybe he needs to read other people's life books to see how he touched them for the better. Hmm...Well written, as always, a just a bit provocative. Wink

Thank you for taking a look at my little scene. As always, I appreciate it. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Rabkah is a character who keeps talking to me...when I can find the time to listen. I'm not quite sure what the story line is here, but it's intertwined with Voss Merlo's and her sister Chaela's and a couple of other people. No, I haven't been working on this for the last three months, LOL. I started a different tale with the same character in August, but didn't like it, then I got sidetracked and didn't do much writing at all. I wrote this one in a day or two and I'm afraid my rustiness shows. Wink Still it feels really good to be writing again.

God bless and have a wonderful day, my friend, and thanks again for reading and for you kind words.

Marlicia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: