- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - The Chances of Being Published

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Chances of Being Published

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> The Art and Craft of Writing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: The Chances of Being Published Reply with quote

In today’s Times, staff writer Laura Miller has written an article on the book publishing business.

“Figures released this spring show that a new book of fiction is published in the United States every 30 minutes.”

That’s about 50 books of fiction a day! Are all of them reviewed, criticized and discussed? No way. The average reader will ignore all of them and wait for a recommendation by Oprah Winfrey.

As a result, then ...

''Everyone is reading the same 20 books, Paul Slovak, the associate publisher of Viking, complains -- a problem most attribute to the shrinking press coverage for new books. It's become a winner-take-all situation.''
Theresa Allen
Master Poster Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Getting Published Reply with quote

Reading your post makes me feel a bit like Joe in Saroyan's "The Time of Your Life." So, "What's the dream?"

Obviously, I don't know anyway around the situation you described. If I did, I would be the most well-read human being on the planet. I've never paid any attention to Oprah Winfrey, but I am surrounded by people that do, and, you are right, they will only read it if Oprah tells them to.

Not many of us get to be Jeffrey Eugenides, Wallace Stegner, or, William Saroyan, for that matter. However, I am convinced that there are many that possess that sort of genius. They'll simply never receive the sort of accolades that they merit.

This gives me another idea for a forum topic. How's about, "Great Books That No One Has Ever Heard Of"?
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Great Books That No One Has Ever Heard Of"?

Who's the judge?
Theresa Allen
Master Poster Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Getting Published Reply with quote

Harry, no one has to be the "judge." Or, we are all the "judge." If you have an opinion, you have passed some sort of judgement. Obviously we have our own opinions about what is good or not, trans., what we like and what we don't. Was this a trick question?!

I visit your websites periodically. Has anyone ever told you that you look a little like Kurt Vonnegut? Did I just indulge in another "toe jam" sandwich?
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt and I have always shared a naive belief that a dead person is not in good shape at that particular moment, but that the same dead person, at another moment, is perfectly fine. Time calls the shots, and what I think may be a great book today might be a terrible book tomorrow.

When I was younger, and much smarter than I am now, I used to believe that Arthur Guy Empey’s “Over the Top” was a great book. I don’t any more. We’re human --- life kicks the bejesus out of us, and it’s hard to be consistant.
Theresa Allen
Master Poster Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Getting Published Reply with quote

I appreciate Vonnegut's skepticism in the "big, fat brain." Kilgore Trout lives! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> The Art and Craft of Writing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: