- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - From Dorothy Parker

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From Dorothy Parker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Words from the wise
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: From Dorothy Parker Reply with quote

A few pearls from Dorothy Parker

"It's a small apartment, I've barely enough room to lay my hat and a few friends."

"Are you Dorothy Parker?" a guest at a party inquired. "Yes, do you mind?"

"You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think."

In 1925, Harold Ross was struggling to keep The New Yorker magazine alive with a tiny, inexperienced staff and an office with one typewriter. Running into Dorothy, Ross said, "I thought you were coming into the office to write a piece last week. What happened?" Dorothy replied, "Somebody was using the pencil."

"Brevity is the soul of lingerie."

"I like to have a martini,
Two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table,
After four I'm under my host!"

In the street once Dorothy approached a taxi.
"I'm engaged," the cabbie said.
"Then be happy," she told him.

“Wasn't the Yale prom wonderful?”
"If all the girls in attendance were laid end to end,"
she said, "I wouldn't be at all surprised."

"Look at him, a rhinestone in the rough."

"You know, that woman speaks 18 languages,
and she can't say "no" in any of them."

"His body has gone to his head."

"Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses."

Young man to Dorothy Parker: "I can't bear fools."
Dorothy Parker to young man: "Funny, your mother could."

A book review:
"He is beyond question a writer of power; and his power lies in his ability to make sex so thoroughly, graphically and aggressively unattractive that one is fairly shaken to ponder how little one has been missing."

For her own epitaph:"Excuse my dust."
Theresa Allen
Master Poster Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Dorothy parker Reply with quote

A woman after my own heart... Laughing
Brian Peters
Practitioner Class 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but the best one for me was:

I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things.

... only because I can't remember any wise words except those my mother told me. I still don't lick cold metal to this day.
Theresa Allen
Master Poster Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Dorothy parker Reply with quote

Yeah, good ol' mum...I still always wear underwear to bed at night, regardless of how many other countless layers of clothing I might also have on! You never know...there might be a fire... Laughing
Paul Grimsley
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every era should have a Dorothy Parker -- there's so many popmpous oafs in this world that need cutting down to size with a short sharp sentence but an acerbic wit doesn't often accompany an ability to deliver it. I can't remember where I read it, might even have been on this site, but it said how we are often cursed with the spirit of the staircase (a translation from the French) where we have an abundance of comebacks after the event when we are out on the stairs and just about to leave. Also I'd like to take the chance to recommend the film Mrs Parker & The Vicious Circle which was great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Words from the wise All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: