- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - Sparrow’s Hand by Harry Buschman

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sparrow’s Hand by Harry Buschman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Feedback Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Sparrow’s Hand by Harry Buschman Reply with quote

How disturbing that Sparrow's hand would die, or be killed. Would his life and those around him have been better, had Sparrow never lifted a pen? Will Sparrow live with a dead hand?

happy New Year. Smile
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is true that everything we write is an extension of our personal experience, then I think Swallow will write again. But he's aware now that there are things deep in his sub-conscious that can only come out in his writing ... revealing things, things that make him less of a person than he thinks he is.

Happy New Year to you, Dave.
Cinnamon Brown
Poster Practitioner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Feel like Swallow....

Sad
dkneip
Master Poster Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

A tricky story, Harry.

Seems as though writing, for Sparrow, comes without thought, like breathing or seeing. Or being. Independent of the mind.

And is there a power struggle here? Who's controlling who - the man controlling the hand or vice versa?

I'm curious to know if he's even aware of what the story is he's writing. And is he any good at it? These "dead spaces" make me wonder.

The memory was sparked by the sight of the woman at the door and the hand drew the full story out of him. Or did the mind and the hand work in conjunction for a change?

Hard to grasp.. interesting nonetheless..

As always, I'm impressed by your subtle humor.

Daniel
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn’t mean to be obscure, Daniel - but there was the thought in the back of my mind that people who write are not any more honest or infallible than people who don’t. Sparrow has a crazy mother, a busted marriage, a daughter in deep trouble and he’s just been kicked out of his apartment, and while he copes with this life, his writing jerks along on automatic pilot.

The sudden mental vision of better times caused him to pick up his pen and write from his heart. Then, I suppose, it’s back to the the two rooms and let his hand take over.
dkneip
Master Poster Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

Then, Harry, that makes sense.

I usually follow your stories very well, but, I admit, this one lost me and I'm not sure if it was that the meaning was too deep for me to grasp, or if it was all the drinking I did over the New Years weekend!

Probably the latter. Laughing

Thank you for the behind-the-scenes look at your thought process on this story!! It helps put the piece together for me.
mattt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Sparrows Hand by Harry Buschman Reply with quote

"He turned the hand over and looked idly at the palm. He traced its life and love lines and saw the history of himself. There were lines branching off and going nowhere, and he thought he could see where Patrisha left and Sheila walked in. He was surprised that the line didn’t stop there but it didn’t. It trudged a dreary, deep and inexorable path, as though tilled by a plow and pulled by an ox.That’s what life was with Sheila."
[i]

-What can I say about that. Perhaps that it is "Dimly hopeful..." The sparrow seems to always fly off from where we've seen it.

I'm tired and I shouldn't say too much from that condition. I read the story last night and it's still developing in me. My feeling upon reading it was that it is one of the finer Sir Buschmans I have read. It's like a film you see and you don't put just one label on it. It returns to you repeatedly after that.
For me it's currently rubbing in the point that human to human truth is sometimes not what manifests while there are other matters at hand. I sense a difference between those who focus on someone else's needs and those who focus on their own.
[/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Feedback Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: